FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mugsy

Quote from: Augie6 on October 25, 2007, 01:17:32 PM
The comment about "freaky pass plays" is a little bizarre.  I wouldn't classify any of the pass plays that Augie ran as "freaky". 

"Freaky" was not meant to refer to the scheme (pass routes, effectiveness off play action, etc...).  Freaky was a bad word to use.  I was attempting some tongue-in-cheek for the "shot put" ducks Augie QB's tend to throw.  A few of those passes were absolutely horrible, but made it to the receiver (somehow).  Most Augie completions, while completions on paper, leave you wondering how that just happened.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

CardinalAlum

Quote from: 79jaybird on October 25, 2007, 12:48:42 PM
I think (from my playing days) the 2 hardest places to win a road game are 1) Bloomington
2) Rock Island
3) Kenosha

Uhhhh, which is it 2 or 3?   ;D
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

CardinalAlum

IMHO,  The 2, and only 2, hardest places to play in the conference:

1)Wheaton-I don't know what it is about playing there, but if it could go wrong, it usually did there.

2)Augustana-They seem to play their best ball at home and the officiating tends to be, shall we say, Viking-friendly.

Using Jaybird math, my "next" top 2 place would be Weenieland!
D3 National Champions 2019, 2022, 2024

Comet 14

I am just a young whipper-snapper ( when it comes to ths CCIW ) but it appears to me that other than North Park all the road games are pretty tough. Maybe some IWU posters can help me out. I made my first trip to there stadium Sat and the Stadium was great.  I was just surprised that they did not have field-turf yet. Any plans in the near future for this?

Titan Q

#12754
Quote from: usee on October 25, 2007, 12:55:26 PM
Quote from: 79jaybird on October 25, 2007, 12:48:42 PM
I think (from my playing days) the 2 hardest places to win a road game are 1) Bloomington
2) Rock Island
3) Kenosha

Just from personal experiences, though with the recent uprising of NC  you could put Naperville up there with Kenosha.
Millikin used to be a stingy, hostile place and is still a tough place to pick up a victory. 

Jaybird,

although I didn't include on my list (for obvious reasons) I am surprised you didn't include Wheaton on your list? considering they are 34-1 at home since 2002 (which should span your playing days) and Elmhurst hasn't been within several TD's of Wheaton when playing them at E. McCully.  ??? ;D

IWU is 25-12 (.676) at home in the CCIW the last 10 years (1998 through 2007), which is not great.  7 of those 12 losses were suffered the last 3 seasons (2004-2006).

usee

Quote from: Augie6 on October 25, 2007, 01:17:32 PM
Since when does a team have to dominate a game to be deserving of a win?  My opinion of the Augie / Wheaton game was that both teams made good plays and bad plays throughout the course of the game, Wheaton just happened to make more good plays at critical times than Augie did.  My whole point in this discussion is that I don't believe that Wheaton dominated Augie and looked like a much better team.  

I agree with this. I never said anything about domination either. My reaction was to your repeated referral to stats as if it was Augie who dominated the game. I don't think either team dominated but to me Wheaton  was clearly the team that had an opportunity to separate themselves and did not.

Quote from: Augie6 on October 25, 2007, 01:17:32 PMAlso, how do you crawl back into a game when it was a 21-17 game with 12:26 left in the 3RD QUARTER.  Those arguments don't hold any water with me.

I think the crawling was done by then. it was 21-7 with Augie punting when the crawling started.

Quote from: Augie6 on October 25, 2007, 01:17:32 PM
On the play in question, I was standing with Mike Gray and Mark Long (All American FS and SS during the 80's) on the sideline near the end zone where the ball was thrown. 


Those are 3 pretty good db's watching this play (yes I included you  ;) ). If Augie had 3 guys in their secondary like you three we wouldn't be having this discussion. (which is probably what you guys were saying to each other as it happened).

Titan Q

Quote from: Comet 14 on October 25, 2007, 03:04:08 PM
I am just a young whipper-snapper ( when it comes to ths CCIW ) but it appears to me that other than North Park all the road games are pretty tough. Maybe some IWU posters can help me out. I made my first trip to there stadium Sat and the Stadium was great.  I was just surprised that they did not have field-turf yet. Any plans in the near future for this?

I've always liked IWU's football stadium...

http://titan.iwu.edu:82/sports/FootballStadium.shtml

In use since 1893, it is the fifth oldest in the nation, behind Williams (1875), Wesleyan  (1881), Sewanee (1888), and Amherst (1891).

I have not heard about any plans to install field turf.

matblake

Quote from: Titan Q on October 25, 2007, 03:21:11 PM
Quote from: Comet 14 on October 25, 2007, 03:04:08 PM
I am just a young whipper-snapper ( when it comes to ths CCIW ) but it appears to me that other than North Park all the road games are pretty tough. Maybe some IWU posters can help me out. I made my first trip to there stadium Sat and the Stadium was great.  I was just surprised that they did not have field-turf yet. Any plans in the near future for this?

I've always liked IWU's football stadium...

http://titan.iwu.edu:82/sports/FootballStadium.shtml

In use since 1893, it is the fifth oldest in the nation, behind Williams (1875), Wesleyan  (1881), Sewanee (1888), and Amherst (1891).

I have not heard about any plans to install field turf.


I haven't been there since 1997, but I did like the fact that they had a flame on an olympic torch type thing that burned the entire game. 

Titan Q

Quote from: matblake on October 25, 2007, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on October 25, 2007, 03:21:11 PM
Quote from: Comet 14 on October 25, 2007, 03:04:08 PM
I am just a young whipper-snapper ( when it comes to ths CCIW ) but it appears to me that other than North Park all the road games are pretty tough. Maybe some IWU posters can help me out. I made my first trip to there stadium Sat and the Stadium was great.  I was just surprised that they did not have field-turf yet. Any plans in the near future for this?

I've always liked IWU's football stadium...

http://titan.iwu.edu:82/sports/FootballStadium.shtml

In use since 1893, it is the fifth oldest in the nation, behind Williams (1875), Wesleyan  (1881), Sewanee (1888), and Amherst (1891).

I have not heard about any plans to install field turf.


I haven't been there since 1997, but I did like the fact that they had a flame on an olympic torch type thing that burned the entire game. 

http://www2.iwu.edu/menssports/ftball/images/fb_front07side.jpg

wheels81

I know that Wheaton isn't looking forward to playing in Bloomington.   The last time they won was 2002,  (granted they played 03 and 04 in Wheaton).  Maybe they'll have some wounded players back.  But going against a young and seemingly potent offense in IWU (that will have a full year experience) will certainly test them on their ravaged D-line and banged up secondary. On the other hand the veteran green weenies  ;D on defense will be  a real test for the stricken thunder offense.
"I am what I am"  PTSM

Titan Q

#12760
An IWU focus in today's Sun Times Small College piece with other CCIW mention as well...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/619289,CST-SPT-small25.article

I like how they lump the I-AA info into "Small College" -- it drives my ISU Redbird buddies crazy when they see their stuff under the CCIW/NAIA type features!


And an article from today's Pantagraph...

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/10/25/sports/doc472025de6d43c277249853.txt

Redmen96

We will always be REDMEN

matblake

Quote from: Titan Q on October 25, 2007, 06:28:38 PM
And an article from today's Pantagraph...
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/10/25/sports/doc472025de6d43c277249853.txt

That ax may be a good start to a trophy game with another CCIW school.  Perhaps Augustana or Millikin considering the rivalries between those schools.  Or, since it has all the CCIW members on it, the school who finishes higher in the CCIW between say Millikin and IWU rather than the direct head to head battle. 

redman04

It would be nice to see some more trophies in the CCIW. ie...Big Ten, Little brown Jug, Paul Bunyon's axe, Ect... The only one is the Little brass bell,  Carthage and Carroll (them being a former CCIW Team) play for the Old Musket.
 HEY NORM, I LOST YOUR HAT! GO REDMEN!!!

Titan Q

An article on IWU junior WR Martin Ceisel...

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/10/26/sports/doc4721619a7f913417768928.txt

Career receiving yardage leaders for the Titans:

1. Chris Bisaillon (1989-92) 3,798

2. Eric White (2001-04) 3,430

3. Ed Brady (1981-84) 2,907

4. Shawn Emerson (1997-00) 2,071

5. Martin Ceisel (2005-present) 1,974